After sharing hyderabadi side dish recipe , mirch ka Salan , in two different ways. Today I am here with another hyderabadi delicacy but this time a dessert, khubani ka meetha. This is one of the Royal dessert made with dried apricots. It has nice golden colour which makes it eligible for the honour to be called as royal treat . And it's sweet and tangy flavour is loved by almost everyone with sweet tooth. Though it looks so Royal and appealing that we think how can we try this. But believe me , it's so easy to prepare with only few easily available ingredients and is heavenly in taste.
This time I am not having step wise pics of cooking but can ensure you to explain in detail, so that you can prepare it without any fuss.
Recipe is given below, do try and tell how's it turned out for you.
KHUBANI KA MEETHA
Time: 30 mins ( leaving soaking time)
10-12 dried apricots ( I used jumbo apricots, you can use any )
2-3 tbsp sugar
2 pinches salt
10-12 threads of saffron ( kesar) , soaked in 1 tbsp warm water
1 tsp rose water ( optional)
Chopped almonds or pistachio for garnishing
First of all wash apricots well then soak in clean drinking water , water should be nearly 2" above apricots. Leave it covered overnight or soak in hot water for 4-5 hrs.
Now deseed( if have seeds) and transfer apricots along with water in a heavy bottom vessel. Add salt and cook covered , stirring occasionally till apricots are fully cooked and become mushy.
* You can use some more water if feel apricots are still uncooked and sticking to bottom.
Mash it with ladle and add sugar and saffron water. Simmer it for 4-5 mins or till it get desired consistency.
Switch off the flame and let it cool down a little then add rose water and mix well.
Serve in individual bowls and garnish with chopped dry fruits. Either serve warm or chilled. It tastes awesome in both ways, choose your preference of serving.
* you can increase or decrease sugar as per your taste and sweetness of apricots.
* I used deseeded jumbo apricots. But if you have seeded normal dried apricots then deseed them after soaking then use. It may be not so bright orange in colour but taste will be same, awesome.
* If you are removing seeds, then don't throw them. Break its shell and collect the almond type fruit from inside it, and use it to garnish your pudding.
* You can avoid adding salt if making it for fasting meal. Or use rock salt instead.
Apricots are not only eye treat but also having many benefits for our health. So include these in your diet and any form you like. And this is one of the delicious way to include it in your diet .
Hope you will like this Royal and healthy sweet treat and definitely give it a try. Please pour your valuable comments and suggestions here, they meant a lot.