Every mom have tension of what to give in her kids tiffin so that they will finish without nakhre. And the problem worsen when your kid is a fussy eater like mine. My daughter used to finish her tiffin most of the time but my lil one always have excuses for leaving his snacks. So I always have to try new things for him, which can attract him to eat. Today I made rawa idli with lots of veggies in it but in different attractive shapes. I have many silicon molds, that came as a savior for me. This dish is not unknown to maximum of you but still sharing mine version to help those moms, who are looking for interesting , healthy and quick tiffin ideas for their fussy eaters.
Recipe is given below , hope you all will try it.
DESIGNER VEGGIE RAWA MINI IDLIS
Time: 20 mins( leaving resting time)
1 cup semolina ( rawa or sooji)
1/2 cup yogurt ( curd)
Water as per need
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup finely chopped veggies (grated carrots, capsicum, spring onion)
1 green chili, finely chopped ( optional)
1 tbsp green coriander leaves, finely chopped
Baking soda or eno
First of all mix semolina, yogurt, salt and required water to make a lump less idli batter. Let it rest for 1 hr or overnight at any cool place , if planning to prepare early morning.
* But never keep in refrigerator other wise semolina will not absorb liquid.
* for quick result use hot water to make batter and let it sit for 1/2 an hour.
If after soaking,you find your batter thicker than regular idli batter then add little water at a time and correct the consistency. Now add all veggies, coriander leaves and chilies. Mix well, your batter is ready to be used.
Now separate required batter in another bowl, which can be used to fill your mold at a time. Now add two pinches of baking soda or half tea spoon eno powder to separated batter. Give a quick stir you will see nice frothy batter , don't over mix the batter otherwise all the air bubbles formed ,will vanish and result in hard idli.
Now fill the mold immediately with required batter and either steam as regular idli for 8-10 minutes or microwave for 3- 4 minutes, depend on size of mold and microwave power. Let it rest for 2-3 minutes then demold. Similarly make all the idlis and serve with coconut chutney or any sauce of your choice.
Kids like this idli very much, and in this way you can feed them some veggies also.
* You can add any veggies of your choice.
* After adding soda or eno , use the batter immediately. That's why add soda or eno in batches of batter, when needed.
* For more soft idlis, use eno instead of baking soda. But baking soda also works well.
* If you are making idlis in microwave then keep a bowl with some water along with the idli mold, to get nice moist idlis.
* While using microwave, keep an eye on it as over doing may result in dry and hard idlis. Mine took maximum 3 minutes.
If you don't have silicon mold just use your regular mold and prepare these healthy and delicious tiffin snacks for your kids.
Hope you all will like this easy , quick and kids friendly recipe and will definitely give it a try. Please pour your valuable comments and suggestions here, they meant a lot.